Healthy diet and exercise- Need of an hour!!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson has rightly said” The first wealth is HEALTH” and in my opinion this is certainly veracious and unerring. As we are growing older, there is a dire need to maintain healthy diet and develop a routine to exercise to keep our body in shape. And every day of the week we promise ourselves to eat healthy and avoid our cravings to eat fatty food. We follow the healthy diet routine all week and then every weekend we just give up when we have weekend parties or get togethers. We solace ourselves by saying that “TODAY Is A CHEAT DAY!!!!” and sometimes this cheat day even continues until Sunday.
This happens with me so many times and I promise to myself that Monday morning I will be strictly eating oatmeal or survive on green smoothies. And that is certainly not scrumptious or mouth- watering but we all need to maintain that balance in some way or the other. We must agree to the fact that “It is health that is the real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver”. A healthy diet certainly reduces the risk of chronic diseases and maintaining a healthy body.
So, my dear family and friends, making major changes in your diet can be over-whelming. We can get started with just baby steps.
Here are some simple tips to maintain a healthy life- style-
1. Eating a healthy and nutritious and nourishing breakfast.
2. Drink lots of water.
3. Avoid fatty foods and include healthy fats in your diet such as walnuts, almonds, olive oil, peanut butter, almond butter etc.
4. Eat low carb foods and count on the right carbohydrates such as brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, legumes, and lentils.
5. Eat the Rainbow- Include multi-colored healthy fruits packed with fiber and vegetables in your diet such as broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, zucchini, carrots, cucumber, asparagus etc.
6. Lean protein such as tofu, chicken, turkey, fish like salmon, tuna, egg whites etc.
7. Try curbing CARBS instead of fats.
8. Reduce salt intake as much possible.
9. Add probiotics in your daily diet.
10. Do some cardio and Yoga.
11. Go for walks with your pet.
12. Cycling and Zumba is another fun way to stay fit.
13. Avoid added sugar in items such as sweetened drinks, sweet treats, coffee, tea, ice creams, jellies, syrups etc.
14. Stock your bag and fridge with healthy snacks.
So, let us all plan a healthy diet routine and focus on our goal to lead a long and healthy life. Please feel free to have a balanced portion of everything on your plate- fitness healthy plate. Do not follow any restrictive diet. Just become a fan of small changes and eventually produce big results in your future life. Avoid any strict diet and believe in a lifestyle change. Determine your healthy eating strategy and get ready for action!!!!
So, what is the one change you are going to make today in your daily life- style?????
Ms. Gagan Dhir